Tuesday, August 10, 2010

DR-110 Modbox





I picked up a Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-110 this week. I had wanted one for a while. They’re still relatively cheap though like all things analog, hype has been driving up the price from $70-80 out past $100. The 110 was the last analog drum machine made by Boss (or it’s parent company Roland) in 1983. The specs on this machine are well-documented all over the net, so I won’t go over them here. I consider the TR-606 to sound like a lower-fi version of the TR-808, and the DR-110 to be an even lower-fi version of the 606. However, the 110 really does sound like a toy compared to the other two. But we’ll see how the sound opens up after it gets heavy modification. Ideally what I want to do is be able to sync both my 606 and 110 to a sequencer and run them simultaneously under sequencer patterns.

The first order is disassembling and washing the case. Yes, the first thing I do when I get second-hand gear is wash it. When was the last time YOU washed any of your gear? I simply use a soft handsoap and a soft toothbrush to get into any tiny or deep crevices, but I try to not be too particular about this stuff— gear is meant to be played, not sit on a shelf revered as a museum piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment